Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Farewell my friend Scott...

It was a cold February morning when I was at the gym at Kennebec Valley Health Club. It was my first week there and I was working out when this tall guy in glasses walks up and introduces himself as Scott. He asked me a load of questions and was there with some other guy. I giggled and looked at him and said, "Let me guess, you're a car sales man". Stopped him dead in his tracks. Shocked, he asked me how I knew that, I said, "You have behavior like that of someone who sells cars". His friend started laughing and said, "She's good Scotty...she nailed you"...(he's the finance manager of a car dealership). That was six years ago.

My friend Scott is another one of my friends who has been there for me through thick and thin. When you first meet him, you'd never know he has a heart the size of Texas but that's because he hides it so well. He's been there through me losing weight...always kept pushing me to my max and challenging me. He knew my goal was to get pregnant (that was back when I was married). He also knew my love for children. He was a great space for me to vent when I was going through my divorce and when I moved to MA. He's even helped me financially in one of my worst times since I've been down here.

Recently, he's been dealing with his divorce. He's got two beautiful girls and it has been breaking his heart to have them go through it too. Today, I got a phone call from him that in a MILLION years I never expected. I'm on the phone with him watching six years of my friendship with him flash by as I listen to him tell me he and I can no longer be friends. He told me he decided to go back home and work it out. I told him that I support anything he chooses as long as it makes him happy. The next thing he said, "One of my wife's ultimatums is that I never speak to you again". Confused and tearful I asked why. He said, "For some reason, she has it like we were intimate even though she has no evidence". Part of me wanted to lash out and be really angry and the other part of me totally got it. I did say, "Does she know I'm pregnant and am living 100's of miles away"? I told him I am happy for him that he has chosen to work it out.

Either way, I am sad. Out of all of this, what I came to realize is that I have supported him in being the person he wants to be and he chose to create newly his relationship with his wife...which is HUGE!! Somewhere in our many conversations, I inspired him in sharing my life and he took his life on. I just got that he gave me the biggest gift...for him to realize that things can really work out with him and his family! Bittersweet and beautiful all at once.

So, Scott...good-bye! Thank you for being in my life as long as you were. I am committed that your life turns out and that you're happy, satisfied and fulfilled. Perhaps someday, all of this will change and you'll actually get to be a part of my life again. Until then, I love you and thank you for what you added to my life!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

You lost a friend and I lost a sister. :(